Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ode to Andee the Wonder Dog

I knew when I awoke today that I'd be saying good-bye to my dear companion and work partner, Andee. When Andee was diagnosed with cancer the afternoon of June 5th, I was told he wouldn't have much time. But I was given a gift. Seven months...almost to the minute. When Andee didn't eat yesterday, and barely the day before, I knew the end would be this week.

Over these seven months, Andee had good days and bad. On the bad I'd wonder if the end was coming. Then another good day would follow. Animals are very clear about the end. I knew there would be no question when the time came. This morning Andee made it clear.

I talked to our vet a month ago about options. I had promised myself that when the time came, I'd have my vet come to my home rather than bring Andee to the clinic. I called this morning and arranged for him to come at 2:20 PM. But an emergency C-section pushed our appointment to 5:00.

Andee was ready. He could not get comfortable, seemed confused, and was having difficulty breathing. I found myself wishing for the end to come as soon as possible. I kept looking at the clock wanting it to say 5:00 and was pained by the thought of Andee having to wait for three long hours. Then, sometime between 2:00 and 2:30, Andee passed.

Andee's first portrait
Andee came into our lives 8 years ago. A neighbor found him wondering the neighborhood and spent all afternoon driving around asking people if they recognized him. No luck. I was walking Molly and it was dark already when she drove up to me with Andee in her back seat and asked me about him. She told me she couldn't take him home and I knew the shelter was closed.

I offered to take the dog for the night...which after doing my legal duty to find his previous owner, he became part of our family...and my new work partner.
Andee learns his job 2003
As annoying as Andee could be, he managed to charm dogs and people alike. Customers would say, "Just drop him off when you're in the area," "I wish I could bottle him up," and "Andee's invited to come by any time." Notice it was not ME getting the invitation. But as Andee's mom, I was proud of his popularity and grateful for the experiences we shared as work partners.
Andee Summer 2010


Years ago a co-worker gave Andee the title "The Wonder Dog".

But it is no wonder to me why he'll be missed by so many.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

"Wonder Dog" is perfect! He was a really beautiful dog; look at him! Awwwww. Great post, Rebecca. So sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

Andee was lucky to find you - you gave him a great life. I know he is watching over you...

Anonymous said...

How wonderful Andee had such a loving home! So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

What a great partnership you had! Sounds like lots of good memories to pull from~ that will always keep Andee's spirit alive. Peace, Wende

Karl and Fran said...

Thanks for sharing with us. Andee, and Rebecca, will always be a part of our memories. We have both of you to thank for Sasha, and because of her I can really know how you feel.
Our thoughts are with you!!

Karl & Fran