Monday, July 12, 2010

A Calico Named Callie


This is my cat Callie. She's the one on the left. I brought her over to meet a real-life Callie last February. Callie (the real one) was adopted by a lovely retired couple from NOAH (Northwest Organization for Animal Help). Callie instantly became a cherished family member. I met her shortly after she climbed out of her new yard to explore the neighborhood. I was asked to prevent her from ever doing so again.

Callie didn't like me very much. Now I wonder if it had anything to do with the photos I took. The instant I walked through the door to work with her, she'd run and hide under the bed or in the back of a closet. So Callie's owners started a new procedure of closing all interior doors before I arrived. Callie's dislike of me made for some good jokes. "She knows you are to blame for all this!" and "She knows what you do!" Perhaps she did.
Callie quickly learned her boundaries and started using the cat door to access the gardens, patio, and gazebo. This made her very happy..especially in the early morning which was her favorite time to be outside.


Our design kept the squirrels and birds safe too by preventing Callie's access to the feeding area. Since 17% of the wildlife injured and treated at PAWS is cat-related, Callie's owners wanted to do their part to keep all visiting creatures safe. 

We also made sure that Callie would not go out the front door into the front yard. Callie could go right up to the door but not through it. This was important because the afternoon sun warmed the area just inside the front door and Callie loved curling up right there.

Sadly, Callie developed an incurable respiratory illness earlier this year and passed away suddenly and the young age of four. Her owners generously donated her Microlite collar back to NOAH to be used as a fundraiser in her memory. I dedicate this post to a beautiful Calico named Callie. Thank you for the love you shared with so many in your short time here.

No comments: