Thursday, May 17, 2012

I AM Secret Service for My Dog





During a holiday gathering, our new dog, Rowan, greeted my mother in the face with his muzzle…better known as a muzzle punch, which broke skin and drew blood. It happened during their first introduction to each other at the start of a family gathering. Needless to say, the ‘incident’ (as I refer to it) put quite a damper on our holiday weekend. 

Rowan was then a 7 month-old Border Collie mix we’d adopted from a local shelter six week earlier.  He was a stray that was picked up in Eastern Washington, then transferred from one shelter to another, ending up here.

Rebecca with Max and Rowan
Rowan was a shy and lacked confidence, but I didn’t notice anything that really concerned me...until then. During that time, our 12 year-old Golden Retriever, Max, was nearing the end of his life with cancer, so I was a bit preoccupied and perhaps wasn’t paying attention to the cues he offered.

No matter how experienced you are with other people’s dogs, it’s always different with your own. Things were not so clear.  But clear enough for me to know this was serious, and I wondered if we could get beyond it. Would I ever trust this dog again? Would I be able to keep him as part of our family? I knew we needed professional help – and quick.

Within days of the ‘incident’, I called a trainer friend of mine who is an expert in herding breeds. Joyce Biethan, of Joyce's Dogs, listened patiently to the details that led to the perfect storm in my laundry room. She explained that Border Collies are extremely space conscious, and that, along with my apparent lack of leadership, prompted Rowan to gain control of what he perceived as a stressful situation.


I confessed the incident to another friend, and local trainer, Dianna Young, of Camano Island Kennels. Dianna put things into perspective: It was my job to be Rowan’s Secret Service Agent, and until he believed that I was, he would continue to take matters into his own hands. Thankfully, Dianna thought Rowan was still young enough that we had a good chance of turning things around. She explained that since Rowan was under-socialized, he resorted fear-based thinking and behavior when he was unsure. And that, my friends, is DANGEROUS.

The job of the Secret Service is to be aware of potential threats to the person they are assigned to protect. The President of the United States, for example, is surrounded at all times by agents who are scanning for threats and are ready to act. They do their job so he can relax and focus on his.

Dianna explained it was my job to be Rowan’s Secret Service. Without this belief, he would continue to take matters of protection into his own hands, and that’s when people get hurt…and pets die.

Understanding the urgency of the situation, Dianna, Rowan, and I embarked on a training program that took advantage of local public venues exposing Rowan to all kinds of potentially ‘scary’ and unfamiliar things. The intense work convinced Rowan that when he perceives something as a threat, he could rely on me to protect him.

Today, when Rowan is unsure or concerned, he comes to my side, sits down and looks up at me. He trusts I’ll handle things. But here’s the best part: because he trusts me, I can now trust him..

I am Secret Service for my dog.  And it’s wonderful.

Watch Rowan Today. Once afraid of so many things (including cameras)
he's now happy and FULL of confidence!

Rowan's mom, also known as Rebecca Murray, is a Senior Pet Consultant & Trainer for  Invisible Fence Northwest.

1 comment:

cathy miler said...

Thank you, Rebecca, for this insight. I believe you are the one who has come to my home with Rosie, Ziggy and Kenny to help train to the IF. That's what I had to do with all three of mine, all rescues with various degrees of lack of self-confidence in selves and a decided lack of confidence in the world, including me. On walks, when they would see something that frightened them, they'd either flatten out like roadkill or bark crazily. Then I'd put them on leash (if not already) and take them slowly while I talked up to the nodding lighted electric deer or whatever...and we'd both investigate. Treats were given on the way back from the "danger." I'd be interested in how you were handling the dog (on leash, how close to you, etc) as you were gaining his confidence.
Cathy Miler
cathymiler@comcast.net