Sunday, January 10, 2010

Marking the spot...first things first.


Yesterday I trained two dogs that are related by breeding but separated by 12 years of age. Gaby, a beautiful, reserved 12 year old Golden Girl, and her great nephew, Desi, a mere 9 weeks. As I drove into the driveway, I laughed as I watched Gaby do a tap-dance as Desi mouthed her feet, neck, and anywhere else he could get his baby teeth on her. They were so happy. Gaby is so graceful in her movements. She prances about while Desi, on the other hand, does a clumsy puppy gallop. It's hilarious, really. Desi's only been there a week, and in that short time, the two of them have become inseparable.
I kept Andee in the car for this session...the second of four. But prior to bringing Gaby and Desi into the yard, I let Andee out to relieve himself...and he found a big green fern he REALLY liked. It's interesting how instinctive marking is. I mean, as soon as we let Gaby and Desi outside, they sought out that fern like it was a sizzling steak. They sniffed the fern intensely for several minutes, then each squatted (Gaby first) to make their mark. After the all-important deed was done, then and only then, could we focus on something new. Like learning their one-acre boundary. Good training often means allowing pets to add in their own agenda items. First things first.

No comments: